HISTORY OF SHORTBREAD
*Shortbread is a classic Scottish dessert that consists of three basic ingredients: flour, sugar and butter.
*Although shortbread was prepared during much of the 12th century, the refinement of shortbread was actually accredited to Mary, Queen of Scots, in the 16th century.
*The name of one of the most famous and most traditional forms of shortbread was named by Mary Queen of Scots as Petit Gatelles, which was repeated by the Scots as Petticoat Tails. This type of shortbread was baked, and cut into triangular wedges.
*Shortbread was expensive and reserved as a luxury for special occasions such as Christmas, Hogmanay (Scottish New Year’s Eve) and weddings.
*Glasgow’s Scottish chef John Quigley describes shortbread as “jewel in the crown” of Scottish baking.
*This ancient cake, special to Scotland, is exported throughout the world.
You are invited to bring your favorite family traditional recipe and enter in the Shortbread Contest at the 2016 Sarasota Highland Games
SHORTBREAD CONTEST RULES:
1. Place six (6) pieces of shortbread on a paper plate for each entry submitted for judging..
2. You may enter as many times as you wish. Each entry requires 6 pieces of shortbread.
3. The Shortbread entries to be submitted by 11:00am, at The Socttish Heritage Society Tent
4. Judging of shortbread to follow Opening Ceremonies of the Games.
5. There will be three (3) judges to be selected from Scottish Clans and/or Societies.
6. Decisions of the judges are final.
7. All entries submitted become the property of the Scottish Heritage Society of Sarasota, Inc.
9. The names of the winners will be posted at Judging Station at 2:00pm.
10. Ribbon awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd ,to be presented at Heritage Tent at 2:00pm.
11. The names of the winners will be announced at the Main Stage at at 3:00pm.
Our Shortbread Contest Winners for the 2017 Games are:
- Crystal Colvin (Sarasota)
- Christina McKenzie (Canadian Snowbird)
- Carol Jutte (Bradenton)
Good Luck to all competitors!
For more info contact
Shona Burtner - Chair of Shortbread Contest (941) 925-0462 e-mail: email@example.com